Saturday 17 September 2011

plastic surgery-is it good or bad?


This article focuses more on the risks of breast implants. We know that all surgery has its own risk. Breast implant surgery is no different. Like all medical devices, breast implants are not meant to last a lifetime.
This situation reminds me of people who are desperately wanted to change their looks. They make no different with the ones that go for breast enlargement. Some people want to look like certain celebrities. They show the plastic surgeons a few photos of good looking celebrities as the expected result from the surgery. These people are trying to copy others’ appearances. They are hiding their looks and identities more and more and I think it is really sad. The more they want to be like others, the more they are losing their own identities. I really look down at those people. Why can’t they be themselves and not trying to look like others? It is unbelievable how certain people so desperately want to change their looks.
It is true there must be certain parts of our body that make us feel bad. This is where I think of my family. I am a bit darker and shorter than my other siblings. Sometimes, people ask me, “Hey Mading, how ‘short’ are you?” instead of “how tall are you?” Besides, when I was young, my grandmother used to ask me how come I am darker than the others. She used to make joke with my “unpleasant skin colour” by telling me that I was an adopted child. That’s why my skin colour is different from the others. I asked my mother whether it is true or not but she ended telling me neither “yes” nor “no”. I went off to sulk in my room and refuse to eat. Then, my grandmother came to my room and showed me our family’s photo. She said, "Although you are girl, you are like your father when he was young. You do have your mother’s eyebrows but everything else is your father’s.” Soon after I heard that, I burst into tears. I feel good to know that there is something I have in common with my parents. Since they gave me birth, I have their combined genes which made who I am now. I feel proud to see how much I look like them. If I am darker or shorter or whatever, it doesn’t change the fact that I am my parents’ biological child. That is my identity and I do not want to lose it.
We desperately want to look like others and praise them how lucky they are to have such a beautiful face and amazing body. We praise everyone, yet when was the last time we looked at a mirror and praised ourselves?

No comments:

Post a Comment